AWS customers have come to rely on our track record of stellar operational performance. Our team ensures that the quickly expanding number and scale of services are able to deliver on that reliability promise.
Amazon Web Services is seeking a strong engineering leader to drive the long-term technical vision of our world-class Safety Engineering group. We analyze trends and build software used across AWS to reduce recurrence, duration, and size of customer impacting events.
As a leader on this team, you will lead engineers driving large-scale initiatives that automate the incident and problem management process for all of AWS. You will own the goals and roadmap of a AWS Safety Engineering team. Your major customers are AWS services and customers including Amazon.com. You will demonstrate strong leadership as you control your own destiny in Amazon's ownership oriented culture.
Key job responsibilities
We have a team culture that encourages innovation and we expect engineers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture and project delivery. Successful candidates will be high-bandwidth leaders who can cut through the noise, simplify, deliver results, and build great teams around themselves. You will hire and lead a software engineering team responsible for rethinking the assumptions behind how we understand, measure, and prevent customer impacting incidents. You will draw from your deep and broad technical expertise to hire and mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues. You will manage and be responsible for defining and delivering projects that will influence how AWS services and built and operated.
- Lead an engineering team that will build, operate and maintain software in order to meet business needs
- Hire, coach, and mentor individuals
- Interface with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
- Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements
- Own all operational metrics and support
- Help develop long-term development and business technology strategies
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 9+ years of experience in Software development
- 5+ years as a Development Manager managing teams of 10 engineers
- Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
- Strong business and technical vision
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Previous demonstrated project management success on high-volume web-based applications projects
- Deep understanding of system architecture and OO Design and experience with large distributed and online transactional systems
- Experience with Linux/Unix systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming