Are you a strong passionate developer who wants to own critical, highly scalable systems, and spur innovation? Can you lead and make technical decisions for highly scalable and available engineering solutions? Are you skilled at leading complex projects that require interacting with both technical as well as business folks?
The Vancouver Tax Software team, part of eCommerce Services at Amazon, owns the product tax classification platform and provides the core services that classify billions of products globally for most accurate Tax calculation worldwide. We're at the intersection of software that can never go down and need to move at agile, internet speed. We're at the hub of Amazon's massive, worldwide service-oriented architecture. We are looking for a Software Development Engineer who is excited in working with a talented team to innovate, tackle complex problems and operate a complex and mission critical system under extreme loads.
You'd be expected to be a technical leader, architect who can deliver software and who understands and sets a high bar for all parts of the software development and deployment life cycle including: design, development, documentation, testing and operations. You must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment. We're looking for people who are smart and can get things done.
Key job responsibilities
- You are a significant and autonomous contributor producing high quality code.
- You solve difficult problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices.
- You work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant.
- You are proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not).
- You do things with the proper level of complexity the first time (or at least minimize incidental complexity). - - You make appropriate trade-offs, re-use where possible, and are judicious about introducing dependencies.
- You are efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, database, memory/CPU, etc.)
- You focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions.
- You are able to train new team-mates on how your team's software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture. You foster a constructive dialogue and seek resolutions.
- You help recruit and interview for your team. You mentor and help to develop others.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
• Candidates must have a Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language - preferably in a Java, Linux environment.
• Candidate must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, notify your Recruiter.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming