Amazon Retail brings buyers and sellers together. Our retail customers depend on us to give them access to every product at the best possible price. Our sellers depend on us to give them a platform to launch their business into every home and marketplace. Making this happen is the mission of every member of the Amazon International Expansion team.
The ask is simple: make everything available to everyone all the time at the best possible price across the globe. The implementation is not - so we're looking for leaders who aren't afraid of tackling massive scale, layered complexity and ambiguous problems to empower our customers to shop the World. No two features are ever the same and our customers are hungry for every single one!
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to join our growing team in Vancouver, BC. On our team, you will work on many highly available Tier-1 services, and will be at the forefront of enabling experiences tailor-made for our 300 million plus customers. You will be tasked to insist on highest standards, deep dive, think big and find new ways on how we can more efficiently expand into new geographies. You will work daily with massively scalable distributed systems processing hundreds of billions of requests a day. You will be responsible for driving complex system designs, development, test, and deployment of these services, at the same uphold the bar for OE (operational excellence). Candidates will need to think outside the box to quickly come up with innovative solutions to problems that are unique to Amazon. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing real time scalable systems, a strong technical ability, excellent programming skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
A day in the life
In a typical day you will mainly be working closely with your team of developers and your manager, solving problems and planning next steps. In addition, you will be working on forward looking architectural problems, writing technical documents to be presented to Amazon leadership. You will also be improving existing solutions and features to excite even more Amazon customers.
About the team
The Amazon International Expansion team in Vancouver is small group (20-30 people) of experienced Amazonians who tackle complex/ambiguous problems everyday. We keep our on-call load low, so we can focus on solving bigger picture problems. We are a social group and generally organize a team event at least once per month. Recent activities include Archery tag, GoKarting, and hiking on Cypress Mountain.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years relevant work experience in commercial or web-scale system software development
- Prociency in developing objected-oriented software, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C++, or C#)
- Understanding of operating system fundamentals (Linux or Windows)
- Understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle
- Analytical skills, with problem solving abilities
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience building and operating scalable distributed systems
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
- Familiar with building secure software using modern security principles
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming