Manager, Actuary - Life Insurance
Reference ID: QUB00032
Within our talented and dynamic Insurance and Actuarial Advisory Services (IAAS) group, the IAAS Actuarial Analyst (manager level) will work on multiple client engagement teams that perform actuarial audit work, valuation and pricing analysis, model building and validation, cash flow testing, and many other related life insurance actuarial projects. You will also receive on-the-job training to acquire practical experience in addressing technical/business issues and in applying industry expertise and EY policies/procedures on client engagements. This position offers excellent opportunities for learning, teaming, leadership, and career advancement.
Your key responsibilities
As a Manager, Actuary - Life Insurance, you will develop working knowledge of engagement objectives and the client's language/industry terms. Learn/apply data processes, test controls, and perform substantive procedures. Create work products that document engagement procedures. Establish/manage priorities, create/manage work plans, communicate the status of activities, and successfully meet deadlines. Maintain a strong client focus and maintain/develop productive working relationships with clients. Stay informed of current business/economic developments relevant to the client. Demonstrate team spirit, integrity, and leadership. Use technology to continually learn, share knowledge with team members, and enhance service delivery. Respect/protect confidential client information. Bring potential business opportunities to the team's attention. Seek, develop, and present ideas to apply EY's services and bring value to clients. This position is based in Québec City but the candidate must be willing and able to travel, when necessary.
• Actuarial advisory services in connection with M&A engagements (assistance in determining enterprise value, benchmarking of valuation assumptions)
• Risk management (development of risk management tools, assessment of risk management controls and procedures, quantification of risk exposure)
More specifically, the successful candidate will be asked to participate in engagements involving:
• Financial modelling (conversion of models to AXIS, validation of pricing and valuation models)
• Assessment and disclosure of financial information (financial modelling of reserves, reviews of experience studies, validation of the integration of changes in assumptions into the valuation system, validation of economic assumptions, deterministic and stochastic scenario testing)
• IFRS 17 implementation
• New capital requirements
Skills and attributes for success
• Knowledge of AXIS
• Strong IT skills
• Excellent interpersonal, and verbal and written communication skills, in both French and English
To qualify for the role you must have
• An undergraduate or graduate degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, or other related major
• ASA designation
• At least five years' relevant experience in the measurement of insurance contract liabilities and/or financial modelling
• The successful candidate must be aiming for the FCIA designation and be bilingual (French and English spoken and written).
Ideally, you'll also have
• The ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic team-oriented environment
What we look for
We're interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
• Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work and with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Posted: February 13, 2019
Closes: April 14, 2019