Roynat Capital, a wholly owned subsidiary of Scotiabank, is a national lender and investor with expertise in providing innovative long-term capital solutions for mid-sized companies utilizing senior term, subordinated debt, as well as mezzanine capital and common share equity. We provide tailored solutions to clients for acquisitions, business expansions, wealth monetization, and working capital enhancement. With a national presence in Canada in major markets, Roynat assists growth-oriented companies in reaching their goals across a wide range of industries.
The Associate Director/Principal contributes to the overall success of the Technology and Innovation (TIB) team, supported by the national Commercial Banking salesforce and partners across the broader Enterprise. This developing practice is designed to meet the current and evolving needs of this fast-growing industry, from seed stage through to Capital Market requirements.
As a Principal in the Ventures group, you will be responsible for business development and market share growth in the early and growth-stage technology and innovation segment in the assigned market area by generating business volumes and related revenues, meeting pre-set targets, and managing the Team's portfolio and activities.
The incumbent is responsible for the building, growing, and managing of a portfolio of clients operating in the assigned technology and innovation segment. He/she is expected to cultivate and increase Scotiabank's brand profile in the tech community through attendance of external activities and maintaining a professional presence with key contacts and business referral sources in this space.
The Associate Director and Principal is a key position, helping to develop the tools, processes and go to market approach for this segment, working in partnership with TIB specialized relationship managers overseeing other segments of the sector, risk management and other stakeholders. Additionally, this role and team maintains strong, regular contact with and support of venture capital investors and the broader investment community supporting this segment.
Supports and drives a customer focused culture throughout the team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
Acts as the Industry Specialist in TIB, providing guidance or assistance to regions that lack TIB specialization.
Meet individual target objectives and ensure progress is made towards maximizing potential business from prospects and existing customers as the TIB portfolio is established, through:
- developing and maintaining relationships with major small and medium sized companies (prospects) and key business referral sources in the technology and innovation segments;
- building and maintaining brand profile and market presence in assigned market area with both internal and external contacts;
- identifying, researching and calling on prospects to establish full banking relationships and building a comprehensive data base file for each prospect using internal bank systems;
- developing and maintaining a regular sales call program on customers and key contacts to ensure effective management, retention, and expansion of each customer relationship. Maintaining a comprehensive record of business development activities on internal bank systems;
- maintaining a current and thorough knowledge of the bank's products to effectively promote tailored presentation packages to meet specific customer needs;
- staying abreast with industry trends and maintaining a deep understanding of the inherent needs, challenges, and opportunities unique to companies operating in technology and innovation segments.
Manage and control of individual loan portfolio to ensure it is at an acceptable level of risk and generates an appropriate return by:
- researching, verifying and analyzing credit applications and preparing comprehensive credit applications of large and complex transactions meeting the guidelines set out in the monograph Term Finance and Leasing manuals and TIB lending job-aids; exercising sound credit judgment based on thorough investigations and analyses;
- monitoring portfolio accounts to ensure conformity to terms and conditions, as stipulated in credit authorizations with timely financial statement reviews, applying diligence to collecting overdue accounts as reported on the monthly Late Payment Report. Promptly identifying and resolving deteriorating credit quality and participating as necessary in the resolution of problem loan situations;
- developing and maintaining strong relationships with client and prospect base, conducting continuous discovery to fully understand customers' financial position and business strategy, ensuring administration of the accounts is timely (reviews) and a comprehensive database of activities is maintained (internal bank systems).
Manage team to meet targets, for revenues and volumes, maintain team productivity, and develop peers to provide excellent service by:
- providing coaching and support to team on using Sales Management skills - establishing a sales call program, establishing a sales marketing data base using bank software applications, and assisting in demonstrating other internal processes for the delivery of services;
- providing coaching on credit administration, structuring, and credit presentations;
- monitoring performance and ascertain training requirements to enhance development of staff and providing timely performance feedback;
- conduct individual weekly meetings with team to stay abreast on pipeline, individual targets, provide coaching, feedback, and training as required;
- assisting in recruiting and/or training staff as required (within authorized complement);
- completing other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Vice President and Head, TIB.
Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
Supports an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
Adheres to supporting a high performance environment, an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviours; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the broader team.
The incumbent requires a solid knowledge of Canada's financial services marketplace and a deep understanding of Technology & Innovation segments and competitive positioning within the sector. They must also have a solid understanding of the Commercial Bank's objectives, strategies and structures. To complement this, the incumbent must possess tactical planning skills and implementation/management skills.
Strong sales management, relationship building and leadership skills are essential, along with the ability to influence and motivate others. The incumbent must set a positive example of change and encourage others to do the same. Strong interpersonal skills are essential for business development/customer relationship building and to facilitate a positive and effective team environment.
He/she must have applicable commercial banking experience and/or Technology & Innovation industry experience. He/she must be able to effectively articulate their views to all levels both within the Bank and externally in the marketplace.
The individual should be familiar with venture capital firms, sub-debt providers and government support programs. Ideally the individual should also be conversant with SaaS financing models, R&D tax credit financing, contract financing and cash-flow lending methodologies.
Professional accreditations related to accounting, finance, valuations and an MBA are preferred.
Strong personal computer skills and familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet software and planning tools are necessary as the incumbent leverages technology for a variety of communication, sales management and general information activities including preparing documents, monitoring results and responding to enquiries.
External education and/or licensing prerequisites: undergraduate degree in business or economics or work equivalency.
Solid knowledge of people, sales management and coaching techniques.
Strong relationship building skills and strong sales/closing capabilities.
Expert knowledge of Commercial Banking products and services, including systems, routines and operating procedures.
Strong knowledge of interviewing, solicitation and business development techniques.
Thorough knowledge of all commercial management platforms.
Location(s): Canada : Quebec : Montreal || Canada : Quebec : Quebec
We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Manager, Equity, Law, Finance, Management, Legal
Banking, Finance and Insurance